Guinea Pig USA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bedding and health

4 posters

Go down

Bedding and health Empty Bedding and health

Post by Mom of boys Sun May 15, 2016 12:24 pm

I'm sure everyone on here is very knowledgable, but I wanted to share some info. We had two 13 month old males, brothers, who got sick this week. We noticed crusty eyes on Friday and took them to the vet. Almost $400 later, one brother, bam bam, died on the way home. The vet said the respiratory infection probably was due to some pine bedding we had just bought. Typically we used care fresh, and I made sure the pine said dust free, but she said the only shavings that are safe for piggies is aspen. I syringe fed the other, Reeeses, water, easy care diet, antibiotics, vitamin C, and an anti inflammatory/ pain reliever. He seemed to perk up and even walked to the water bottle on his own yesterday and seemed curious. I offered fresh Kale yesterday and he quickly grabbed it but didn't eat it. This morning he couldn't walk, only scoot a bit. Wouldn't lift his head. Within a few hours he struggled very hard to breathe and then passed away.
Just remember, by the time you notice these little guys arent feeling well they go down hill fast. I wish you all the best of luck with your sweet little pets

Mom of boys

Back to top Go down

Bedding and health Empty Re: Bedding and health

Post by Miss Piggy Sun May 15, 2016 1:55 pm

If  you are using pine, you have to be sure that the Cage is well ventilated. You have better alternatives. I wouldn`d use pine.
If your pig has stopped eating you have to visit a vet. It`s needing handfeeding now. I´m living in europe. I´m not knowing easy care diet. I´m hoping it´s a diet  for handfeeding. if not:
if you mix pellets with water you get a paste. You can use this for handfeeding. you can buy critical care. handfeeding is easy with critcal care.

Miss Piggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mom of boys Sun May 15, 2016 2:27 pm

Yes, it was a powder that I mixed with warm water and hand fed.

Mom of boys

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon May 16, 2016 7:33 am

Hi,

I use Horse Pine Shaving Fine from Tructor Supply. My guinea pigs like these shavings. I tried a different ones, but it was not as good as the Pine Shavings.
I did not have any problems with dust or smell or something like that.

But the cages and the rooms are very well ventilated.

I am very sorry what happened with your two boys Sad
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://guineapig-usa.aktiv-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Piggy Mon May 16, 2016 11:44 pm

How is your Boy?

Miss Piggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulrike* Tue May 17, 2016 2:05 am

I understood, both had died, one after the other. Crying or Very sad

But I can't believe that the shavings were the reason for it. I guess they had an infection out of a different reason. In Europe most people use beddings of "Kiefer" or other evergreens as conifers. Pine is a kind of "Kiefer", too.
I've never heard that a guinea pig has died because of the shavings. Some pigs may be allergic against the dust and sneeze - so you have to change the bedding, but sudden death caused of that, I can't believe in.

In which kind of cage your boys lived in? Was it a totally closed one?
Ulrike*
Ulrike*

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Piggy Tue May 17, 2016 3:45 am

I´M sorry. I didn´t understand the last part of your writing well. I´m so sorry for your lost.

Miss Piggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum